LifeX is committed to building a community that makes everyone feel at home. Our objective is to provide equal treatment to each member, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, age, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, ethnicity, religion. No matter how you identify yourself or how others perceive you: we welcome you.
We do not tolerate harassment in any form. We believe mutual respect and open communication is the key to a happy household. Therefore, we expect all members to follow our code of conduct set out below.
Before becoming a member of LifeX, you must understand and comply with the LifeX Code of Conduct and the LifeX Anti-Harassment Policy to be part of LifeX.
I will do my best to...
- Welcome and help housemates.
- Participate in household activities; or, if uninterested in this, communicate with housemates accordingly
- Understand the dynamic of the house and coordinate with my housemates accordingly.
- Clean after me and leave all common areas as I found them for others to use.
- Not be a disturbance to others.
- Notify other housemates in advance when events are planned.
- Take care of other people's property (including LifeX property and the building) as if it was my own.
- No street shoes are allowed indoors, they are to be left at the front door.
- Be responsible and considerate when inviting guests to the house by letting your housemates know beforehand, and always ensuring your guest visits are in line with LifeX guest policy outlined below.
- Be sustainable and throw trash items in their respective containers
I will NOT...
- Steal LifeX’s or housemates’ property.
- Smoke or do drugs inside the house or through an open window (smoking is only allowed outdoors, on balconies, terraces, or yards).
- Disrespect housemates or make housemates feel uncomfortable or unsafe (including my guests).
- Mistreat LifeX property.
- Run laundry machines, tumble dryers or dishwashers after 10 pm.
- Leave lights or heating on (when it’s warm) in the house.
- Leave dirty items like bottles, food leftovers, or remnants of a party in common areas for other housemates or housekeeping to take care of.
- Leave the bathroom dirty after use (no hair, pee or other things visible to others).
- Move common area furniture and supplies into my private room.
- Disobey local rules on noise disturbances.
- Disobey LifeX guests policy.
Family members & friends visits (less than 7 days): Depending on the size of the group, family members or friends can also stay in the apartments for one-off visits. The roommates need to be informed beforehand and be okay with this. The same guest(s) cannot stay for up to 7 days more than one time in a month unless LifeX is informed, and LifeX will take this on a case by case basis.
Longer visits/ stays (more than 7 days): The LifeX team needs to be made aware of longer one-off stays, despite your housemates agreeing to it. LifeX will take these on a case by case basis. Housemates also need to be informed and have to be okay with it before LifeX will even consider it.
LifeX Involvement in Complaints
LifeX cares about members’ well-being and happiness. If you are unsatisfied or unhappy with anything in the house or with your housemates, then you can write to us via the app (for the quickest response) or at this email: email@example.com. Upon LifeX’s assessment of the validity and severity of the complaint, LifeX has the right to deliver a series of warnings that can lead to termination of a member’s contract.
How does LifeX determine if a complaint is valid for LifeX interception? LifeX will take necessary measures to address complaints including speaking to the person filing the complaint, as well as the person(s) the complaint concerns; while always respecting anonymity. Valid complaints are based on LifeX’s hard rules which include:
- Continuously leaving the kitchen, common areas or bathroom messy/dirty
- Mistreating LifeX property
- Doing drugs or smoking inside the house
- Stealing or breaking the law in any way
- Not respecting the guest's policy
- Using vacant rooms not currently occupied by anyone
- Making loud noises past 10 pm on weekdays, 12 am weekends (for Germany: 10 pm all days of the week, and zero tolerance for disturbances on Sundays)
- Threatening the safety of other members and disobeying the anti-harassment policy (see below)
The LifeX Anti-Harassment Policy
LifeX is dedicated to ensuring a non-harassment environment for everyone. We do not tolerate harassment of members in any form. Infractions will be dealt with by the LifeX team and the appropriate action will be taken. All members and members' guests are responsible for knowing and abiding by these rules.
- Offensive comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, mental illness, neuro(a)typicality, physical appearance, body size, age, race, or religion.
- Unwelcome comments regarding a person’s lifestyle choices and practices, including those related to food, health, parenting, drugs, and employment.
- Deliberate misgendering or use of past names (e.g. "deadnames").
- Gratuitous or off-topic sexual images or behaviour in spaces where they’re not appropriate.
- Unwelcome sexual attention.
- Physical contact and simulated physical contact (e.g., via Slack or text message) without consent or after a request to stop.
- Threats of violence.
- Incitement of violence towards any individual, including encouraging a person to commit suicide or to engage in self-harm.
- Deliberate intimidation.
- Stalking or following.
- Harassing photography or recording, including logging online activity for harassment purposes.
- The pattern of inappropriate social contact, such as requesting or assuming inappropriate levels of intimacy with others.
- Continued one-on-one communication after requests to cease.
- Deliberate “outing” of any aspect of a person’s identity without their consent except as necessary to protect vulnerable people from intentional abuse.
- Publication of non-harassing private communication.
We will prioritise people’s safety over other people’s comfort. We reserve the right not to act on complaints regarding:
- ‘Reverse’ -isms, including "reverse racism," "reverse sexism," and "cisphobia."
- Reasonable communication of boundaries, such as “leave me alone,” “go away,” or “I’m not discussing this with you.”
- Communicating in a "tone" you don’t find pleasant
- Criticising racist, sexist, cissexist, or otherwise oppressive behaviour or assumptions
To discuss any incidents or behaviour in violation of this code of conduct, please contact the LifeX team employee you feel most comfortable speaking with (if in doubt, contact our head of community firstname.lastname@example.org), or simply write us in the app. We will respond as promptly as we can and we will always respect confidentiality requests.
This document is an ongoing collaboration between LifeX staff and LifeX members. Please get in touch if you would like to contribute. The anti-harassment policy was based on the open-source Conference Code of Conduct, the GeekGirlMeetup Code of Conduct, the work done by the Geek Feminism Wiki and The Ada Initiative.