LifeX is committed to building a community that makes everyone feel at home. Our objective is to provide equal treatment to each member, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, age, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, ethnicity, or religion.
No matter how you identify yourself or how others perceive you: we welcome you.
We do not tolerate harassment in any form. We believe mutual respect and open communication is the key to a happy household. Therefore, we expect all members to follow our rules and policies set out below.
Below is our set of guidelines that we’ve observed work great to make our LifeX homes work as best as possible. We call them SHARE. Hopefully, most of the rules are common sense, but it’s important that everyone is on the same page. We’re constantly working on making this better and any feedback is super helpful.
S - Shine: Promptly clean after yourself in the shared areas to keep them nice and shiny. It’s especially important to always keep your kitchen and bathrooms as clean as possible after use (for example there should never be any leftovers or dirty dishes in the kitchen, and no hair or other leftovers in the bathrooms).
H - Hygge: Feel free to make your home “hyggelig”. Share candle lights, warm dinners, wine and laughs with your roommates and guests.
A - Align: Align expectations and communicate with your housemates. For example, communicate about the cooking activities and let each other know when you have guests (remember: if you’re cooking or have guests over please always promptly clean after yourself).
R - Respect: Respect each other and each other’s property. Respect each other in terms of sharing the kitchen and bathroom areas (for example: don’t have too long showers at rush hour before work or make loud noise after 10 PM). Always let your housemates know when you have guests over. Also please treat with respect any LifeX or cleaning staff that comes into your home.
E - Enjoy: Enjoy each other’s company and embrace the differences. Assume good intentions.
These are rules that everyone must follow. In case these rules are not followed by housemates, please point these rules out to them and if that doesn’t help, contact LifeX via the app and we’ll step in to assess the course of action.
Breach of these rules can lead to warnings and even contract termination:
- Do not threaten the safety of others.
- Do not steal or damage a flatmate’s or LifeX's property. Any illegal activity is prohibited and will be dealt with seriously. Any damaged, broken or lost LifeX property must be reported to LifeX ASAP via the app. Incurred fees may apply.
- No drugs or smoking inside the house or out of windows.
- Do not continuously leave the kitchen, common areas, or bathroom(s) messy/dirty. Rule of thumb: leave it as clean as you found it.
- Do not leave dirty dishes or garbage in common areas - this includes any hair, pee and other leftovers in the bathrooms or showers, as well as dirty dishes or crumbs left in the kitchen sink and countertops.
- Sort the garbage properly, and in the event the trash piles up in between housekeeping visits, members are responsible for taking care of this themselves - not letting it overflow. Housekeeping will not take care of the overflow.
- Take off your shoes upon entering any LifeX home. LifeX is also a no-street-shoe zone.
- Be mindful of noise in the common areas after 10:00 PM on weeknights and 12:00 AM on weekends. In Germany, it is not permitted to make noise after 10:00 PM all nights of the week, and there is zero tolerance for any disturbances on Sundays.
- Do not use vacant rooms. They always need to be in top shape and clean for upcoming members.
- Friends/Family: You are more than welcome to invite friends/family over for lunch, dinner, etc. Just give others a heads-up and be mindful of the noise after 10 pm. You can always take the fun to a general area with closed doors or take it to a bar.
- Kids: Kids can of course visit during the day, but they are not allowed to stay overnight in LifeX homes.
- Pets: Pets are not allowed to enter LifeX apartments.
- Overnight stays:
- Partners (2-3 times a week): Partners are allowed to stay over, but be mindful of other people in the house and let them know about it beforehand and ensure they are happy with the frequency of the visits so as to not tamper with the house atmosphere. Try to ensure it's not more often than about 2 times a week.
- Family members & friends (less than 7 days): Depending on the size of the group, family members or friends can also stay in the apartments for one-off visits. The roommates need to be informed beforehand. The same guest(s) cannot stay for up to 7 days more than once a month unless LifeX is informed, and LifeX will take this on a case-by-case basis.
- Longer visits/ stays (more than 7 days): LifeX team needs to know about it. We'll take it on a case-by-case basis. Housemates also need to be informed and have to be okay with it.
- Vacant rooms in your apartment are NOT allowed to be used by guests at any time. These are reserved for upcoming members only.
- Some apartments are equipped with guest mattresses and duvets that are free to use by members. That is not the case in all of our apartments, so please check this before your guest's arrival to give us some notice if needed.
LifeX is dedicated to ensuring a non-harassment environment for everyone. We do not tolerate harassment of members in any form. Infractions will be dealt with by the LifeX team and the appropriate action will be taken. All members and members' guests are responsible for knowing and abiding by these rules.
- Offensive comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, mental illness, neuro(a)typicality, physical appearance, body size, age, race, or religion.
- Unwelcome comments regarding a person’s lifestyle choices and practices, including those related to food, health, parenting, drugs, and employment.
- Deliberate misgendering or use of past names (e.g. "deadnames").
- Gratuitous or off-topic sexual images or behaviour in spaces where they’re not appropriate.
- Unwelcome sexual attention.
- Physical contact and simulated physical contact (e.g., via Slack or text message) without consent or after a request to stop.
- Threats of violence.
- Incitement of violence towards any individual, including encouraging a person to commit suicide or to engage in self-harm.
- Deliberate intimidation.
- Stalking or following.
- Harassing photography or recording, including logging online activity for harassment purposes.
- The pattern of inappropriate social contact, such as requesting or assuming inappropriate levels of intimacy with others.
- Continued one-on-one communication after requests to cease.
- Deliberate “outing” of any aspect of a person’s identity without their consent except as necessary to protect vulnerable people from intentional abuse.
- Publication of non-harassing private communication.
We will prioritise people’s safety over other people’s comfort. We reserve the right not to act on complaints regarding:
- ‘Reverse’ -isms, including "reverse racism," "reverse sexism," and "cisphobia."
- Reasonable communication of boundaries, such as “leave me alone,” “go away,” or “I’m not discussing this with you.”
- Communicating in a "tone" you don’t find pleasant
- Criticising racist, sexist, cissexist, or otherwise oppressive behaviour or assumptions
LifeX cares about members’ well-being and happiness. If you are unsatisfied or unhappy with anything in the house or with your housemates, then you can write to us via the app (for the quickest response) or at this email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon LifeX’s assessment of the validity and severity of the complaint, LifeX has the right to deliver a series of warnings that can lead to the termination of a member’s contract.
How does LifeX determine if a complaint is valid for LifeX interception?
LifeX will take necessary measures to address complaints including speaking to the person filing the complaint, as well as the person(s) the complaint concerns; while always respecting anonymity.